Thursday, July 29, 2010

Watercolor Tip #4


Design is more important than technique!

Another way to look at this is to say that no matter how good your technique is if the design is not right you will not produce a good painting.

As someone (say a judge) walks towards your painting the first thing they will observe is the overall design of your work. Only when they get closer will they observe the quality of your watercolor washes, brush strokes, etc. I am often surprised when I look at a new students work from the side of my eye and I see a nice piece of work, only to notice areas of potential improvement in technique as I get closer.

So the first impression someone has of your work is based on its design and it will stay with them.

Give yourself some time to plan through your design as once you start painting it may be too late to correct any faults in this area.

Hope this is of some help.

Joe

No comments: