Monday, February 13, 2012

Sydney Harbor my latest watercolor painting


Sydney Harbor my latest watercolor painting project

This is my current watercolor painting project which I am working on to enter in the Sydney Royal Easter show in about 6 weeks. I have been thinking about how to tackle it for some time as it has way more detail in the scene than I normally like to put into my watercolor paintings. For the distance (North Sydney) across the harbor I will just paint over the pencil marks with a varied watercolor wash so as not to bring it forward - and so I don't go crazy with all the detail!

My photo reference was taken from the Island Shangri La Hotel, a big hotel at The Rocks, in Sydney, about two years ago.

I want this to be a sunset scene (sun sets on the left of the painting) so I can play up the lights and darks. I have not drawn in a lot of the detail on the Sydney Harbor Bridge as I will do the last of that directly with the watercolor.

Happy painting,

Joe
www.paintingwithwatercolors.com

2 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

I look forward to seeing the development of your painting.

Peter Pascal said...

You can of course always decorate your home with flowers that don't grow, or wilt either. These were painted by master
painters of the past, in Western art history. I found a "garden" full of these flowers at wahooart.com, a company that
makes excellent canvas prints, and even hand-painted replicas in oil paint on canvas, from digital images in their large
archive for you to choose from.

I ordered this one online from wahooart.com,
http://en.wahooart.com/A55A04/w.nsf/OPRA/BRUE-8LJ5JY
, called Flowers by Jan Brueghel the Elder, a Flemish
painter of the 16th century, as a present for my dear sister for her birthday, that she now has proudly hanging in her
living room. She loves tulips and actually has those growing in the garden now, not far from the framed canvas print.

She said the print adds "timelessness" to the atmosphere of her living space. That's true, because that beautiful vase of
flowers has now stood for 600 years.